Thursday, May 31, 2018

5 Tips To Creating A Farmhouse Kitchen



I get asked a lot how to get that farmhouse kitchen look in a builder grade home. When we moved into our home a little over a year ago the kitchen was a real eye sore! Our home is 23 years old and everything was original in the kitchen, most of it still is! We had to replace the dishwasher about four months ago because it wasn't cleaning the dishes....they were actually coming out dirtier! For now, with small children we decided it was best to hold off on new appliances since one of them literately took a small hammer to the front of the fridge! I wasn't going to let old appliances hold back adding farmhouse charm to our kitchen though! 




Here is what our kitchen looked like before!
Pink wood toned cabinets and lacked any kind of charm!








1.    PANTRY DOOR - I first painted the original door a light blue and I liked it but it wasn't really the look I had in my mind and about a week later I found the exact size WOODEN door on Facebook Marketplace for $25! SOLD! I wish I could have found an old chippy door with the vintage glass in it but the wood one works for now.
The pantry area is a good spot to add character though! We did a faux shiplap wall as well to help define that space. It just helps add interest and break up all of the gray paint throughout the house. 



2.        SIGNS - Signs are easy to make and I shared how to make this BAKERY sign HERE!  I used the same method to make the MARKET sign above our cabinets. If you don't want to make signs they are easy to find online and in stores like Hobby Lobby, Homegoods & Kirklands. I found the small Fresh Baked Pies sign above our pantry door at Target Dollar Spot but added some pallet planks behind it to add a little more character to it. 





3.       DECOR/ACCESORIES - A simple way too is with décor. Accents of copper, wood, metals and antique pieces. I picked up vintage metal egg baskets from an antique fair and use the smaller one to hold our soap bottles and hand towel. The two larger ones I filled with faux flowers and placed them above our cabinets. 

I got lucky one day at Target and found a copper cooling rack that I use to dry dishes on. 
Wood cutting boards and wooden spoons are an easy ways to add warmth to the kitchen.







Wood tones and copper....I made that mini ladder to hold tea towels out of sticks from our backyard! You can find the full tutorial HERE!







4.       BLACK ACCENTS - There wasn't any hardware on the cabinets when we moved in and the cabinets were a pink wood color. I painted the cabinets and added black hardware. We carried the black accents throughout the kitchen by replacing the faucet, pantry door handle, chandelier in the dining nook and the curtain rods.



5.        OPEN SHELVING - You can find the budget friendly open shelving tutorial HERE! Keeping with the black accents, I used black brackets and again using stained wood for the shelving. This is an easy way of adding interest to the space instead of just closed cabinets. It's a great place to display china, glass jars filled with baking goods or your Rae Dunn collection.....wink, wink!




I hope this helps with adding farmhouse charm to your kitchen!
I'm working on putting PART TWO of countertop makeover tutorial together and you can find PART ONE HERE!




2 comments:

  1. Oh My Golly, your kitchen is precious! You've decorated it perfectly for a farmhouse style. Love the new color on the cabinets too. Totally magazine worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cindy! Appreciate your kind words! Have a great night!

      Delete

I love reading comments!

Follow Me On Instagram

amazon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...